Greek souvlaki meets Mexican tacos. Lemon-marinated veggies and haloumi (Greek "grilling" cheese, omit for vegan) sears on the grill via rosemary skewers, gets dressed with yogurt tzatziki, and gets piled high on a warm flour tortilla. This is food fusion that uses the best of the summer season.
Go to Vegetarianized.com for more pictures of this recipe, and nutrition and price information, plus other recipes. Or, check back each Monday for a new tasty dish.
Servings: 6 (2 tacos each)
Time: About 30 minutes active; less than one hour total
Tzatziki Yogurt Sauce:
8 ounces plain yogurt
1/2 pound cucumber, peeled and chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1-2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
juice of 1 lemon, about 3-4 tablespoons
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound eggplant, cut into 1-2" cubes
3/4 pound zucchini, cut into 1" rounds
1/2 pound onion, cut into quarters and then halved again
1/2 pound red pepper, cut into 1" pieces
1/2 pound haloumi (or paneer), cut into 1" cubes
10-12 rosemary, metal or wooden skewers
12 6" tortillas
1. For the tzatziki, line a colander with two layers of paper towels. Spoon yogurt onto paper towels and let sit in the sink or over a bowl for 20-30 minutes. (This is the cheap way to make Greek yogurt.)
2. Meanwhile in a large bowl, whisk together all ingredients from the marinade. Add chopped vegetables and cheese and coat well. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
3. Finish tzatziki by turning drained yogurt into a small bowl. Add remaining tzatziki ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate.
4. Warm oven to 300 degrees. Stack tortillas and lay them on a damp paper towel and then onto a sheet of foil. Wrap the foil around the tortillas and keep them warm in the oven.
5. Heat grill or grill pan over high heat. Skewer vegetables and cheese on rosemary spears and grill until charred, about 3-5 minutes on each side.
6. To assemble, lay two warmed tortillas on a plate. Top with one skewer of vegetables and cheese on each tortilla and then a spoon about a tablespoon of tzatziki over it. Serve warm.
Writer Bio: Adrienne D. Capps loves food AND is a vegetarian! These things are not mutually exclusive in her world. She is passionate about eating, drinking, cooking, teaching, reading about food and growing food. Her goal with her food blog, Vegetarianized.com, is to open up the world of vegetarian cooking and eating to the veg-friendly and the veg-curious in an accessible way. She promises never to try to convert or make you feel guilty—just that eating less meat can be part of a healthy, fun and, above all tasty, lifestyle.